|8 Oct 2022|
The granddaughter of Old Eastbournian Tony Folker (School 1929-34) has been shown a clock that he had donated to the College in 1939.
Annemarie Leuvennink and her family were attending the College on Open Day on Saturday 8 October when they spoke to Development Director Emma Garrett. She took them to the Eastbournian Society office to show them the clock, which had recently been taken down from its position in the old dining hall.
When Annemarie's maternal grandfather, Edward Lawrence Anthony Folker, had presented the clock to the College it had been put above the entrance to the original pavilion on College Field. The clock, made by local firm Brufords, was accompanied by a plaque which read:
Presented by E L A Folker
School House 1929 to 1934
CURFC are the initials for the Cambridge University Rugby Football Club and in 1937, his final year, Tony won his rugby Blue.
In 2000, the clock was removed from the pavilion and installed in the College dining hall. At the time, a second plaque and a new clock movement were supplied by the Old Eastbournian Association.
With the old dining hall no longer in use, the clock was removed recently for safe-keeping. Emma told Annemarie and her family that we are currently considering where the clock could be installed next - it certainly has moved with the times!
Hannah Feben-Smith publishes book one month after graduating More...